It is very important to keep email logs from your WordPress site for record purposes, and a lot of you might be wondering what it is and how it is done. Well, email logging helps you store all emails sent to your customers or clients from your website.
How to enable email logging? Don’t worry we’ve got you covered on the whole process and the plugin you need to enable this feature on your WordPress website.
Why Do I Need to Enable Email Logs?
For a lot of you out there who send out lots of emails from your websites to clients and customers, it is important to have some record to fall back to when clarity is needed on certain issues or discussions. Some of the reasons you should enable email logging are as follows:
- If you enabled form notifications: Every time someone fills a form on your website you get notified via email which is a great way to automatically forward to designated team members to follow new leads.
- If you want to know who got an email: Emails logs will help you keep track of every website visitor or new lead that got a mail from you or your team members.
- If you want specific details: Maybe you got an email sometime back and you don’t remember the date and time, one sure place to look is your email logs. You can get every single detail from who sent what, at what time, the date, and the receiver.
- If you want to ensure all emails are delivered: One sure way to find out if the emails you sent out to your clients, customers, or leads were sent out successfully is through the logs. You will be able to verify if clients or customers received the emails or not in the event you get a complaint from them. This is very important if User Activation is turned on in your user registration form because you want them to get a great first-time experience.
Setting Up Email Logs on WordPress
The question on your mind must be; how do I set up email logs on my WordPress site. We have outlined the steps below as simple as possible for you to follow.
- Download & Install WP Mail SMTP Plugin
Go to the plugin section and search WP Mail SMTP. Download and install the plugin on your WordPress site, then activate it.
If you do not want the stress of activating the plugin, the WP Mail SMTP team can help you set up your mailer and test it with their White Glove Setup Option.
After the plugin is activated, return to your WordPress dashboard.
- Enable Email Logs on WordPress
On the left-hand side of your WordPress dashboard, navigate to WP Mail SMTP-then settings and click the email log tab at the top.
Look for Enable Log on the Email Log page and tick the option. With the option, hereon your email records will be kept which will include:
- Email success status (if it was sent or not)
- Date and time email was sent
- The recipient email address(es) (CC and BCC included)
- Email received from
- Attachments and their numbers (if forms are set up to accept multiple attachments)
- Mailer options used in sending the email
- Additional details such as content type, MIME, and much more.
You can also enable Log Email Content which appears under the Email Log option, this will help you store the content of emails. It is optional though.
You may want to think about your database because emails will be stored and plain text and not encrypted. This may take up space and cause some issues along the line if you use WooCommerce.
Save your settings to enable WordPress email logging and let your record-keeping begin.
- Viewing WordPress Email Logs
Viewing your WP-Email Logs is easy, go to WP Mail SMTP on the left-hand side of your WordPress dashboard. Click on Email Log and you’ll see all your emails with new ones on top.
You can click on an email subject to see more details for that particular email log.
See! It is pretty much very easy and that concludes the whole process of enabling and viewing your WordPress email logs.
There you have it! It is important as a business owner to keep records for reference purposes and handling customer complaints. Now that you know how easy it is to set up a WordPress email log with the WP Mail SMTP plugin, don’t miss any record to keep in touch with your customers and leads.